Lake Wylie Area
Lake Wylie, Tega Cay, and Charlotte’s Steele Creek neighborhood all border scenic Lake Wylie, the Catawba reservoir that serves as part of the boundary line between South Carolina and North Carolina.
Looking for lakefront living half an hour from everywhere in Charlotte? Find out if our listings will fit your needs.
Lake Wylie is the smaller of two reservoirs in the Charlotte area, but its small size still incorporates several great options for families wanting access to Uptown and Ballantyne areas in Charlotte and the communities of Fort Mill and Rock Hill. Lake Wylie’s public school system is part of the York County school system and feeds into Clover High School to the west of Lake Wylie. Tega Cay, as a subdivision of Fort Mill, uses the Fort Mill school system, and Steele Creek is part of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system. Since each of these communities are parts of other communities, many parents will use local charter schools or private schools to increase their local schooling options.
Besides schooling, these communities provide small town character with quick access to the entire Charlotte area. From Steele Creek to I-485 takes under 10 minutes in average traffic, and Highway 160 provides access to Fort Mill and Indian Land as well as a great place to hop on the interstate and down to Rock Hill.
Some of the great amenities to enjoy in the Lake Wylie area include:
- Lake Wylie Library – The schedule at Lake Wylie always has room for families with preschool and school aged children, and the children’s librarian is always helping parents out with books they want. For single people and retirees, Lake Wylie is part of the larger York County Library system so any book, audiobook or video you want is easily ordered through their portal.
- McDowell Nature Center and Preserve – This preserve on Lake Wylie in the Steele Creek neighborhood is a great place to take your family for a day-trip in nature or a weekend camping excursion. With boat ramp access to Lake Wylie, you can fish or enjoy time on the lake.
- Tega Cay Golf Club – Located on the Tega Cay peninsula, this club’s 200 acres of golfing overlook Lake Wylie and can be visited for a day or joined as part of living in the wonderful Lake Wylie area.
Can you fill your housing needs with lakefront living close to the city? Fill out this form to find out!
Useful websites for Lake Wylie, Tega Cay and Steele Creek:
- Lake Wylie Chamber of Commerce
- Explore Lake Wylie with Charlotte’s Got A Lot
- Tega Cay City Site
- South Learning Center in the Mecklenburg school district.
For information on houses listed in the Lake Wylie areas, please contact us.
- List View
- Map View
- Grid View
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 9/16/2019)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.